Saturday, November 10, 2012

Wait, You're Doing What Next Week?

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I have a thing for traveling.  Well, not just traveling per se, but collecting miles or points and then using them to travel to cool places.  I'm one of the few people who likes air travel.

However, today I'm embarking on a trip that's weird even for me.  Weirder still, I'm going with about 200 other people who share the same hobby.  Here is my flight path for the next seven days.

I'm participating on this thing called the Star MegaDo 4.  Star because it's for the Star Alliance.  MegaDo, because it's a large Do (duh). And 4, well I'll let you figure that one out.  The International Portion which is only about 50 of us heads to Frankfurt to meet with Lufthansa for a few hours and then to Zurich to meet with Swiss Airlines for a day.  And then we're joining United on the three domestic cities.

Airlines love this because they get access to the most rabid travelers they have.  Literally a super-user group that knows more about the ins and out of their airline than many executives.  And flyers like it because they get to meet other people like them from all over the world and they get to do cool stuff like be on the tarmac at airports which still makes the kid in them smile. 

So I'll be blogging while on the trip.  Also, the trip itself has an actual blog, written by Randy Petersen who is well known for founding the two major frequent flyer blogs.  You can follow that here, if you're so inclined. 

Some might wonder why I'm doing this when I have no real income stream.  Well the tickets were paid for, so asides from food and the hotels I'm splitting and the money for charity, it was worth it to me.  I don't buy clothes, ask Allyson.  My main purchases are travel and video games.  Which while nerdy, is better than hookers and blow.  

No comments: