Saturday, April 07, 2012

So awesome

So as I type this, I am $60 away from my goal of $1,000.  If I can be honest, I knew I'd make my goal, mostly because I have awesome friends and family.  More impressive than me raising the money, are the kind of people who gave.  To summarize:


  • Parents: No doubt that they would give, but I liked the message that my Mom offered to give me $1,000 if I didn't do it. 
  • My girlfriend, Allyson, and her parents gave me money which was super generous.   
  • Brother: He would love to see me stuck in the air, so this makes sense.  
  • High School Buddies: Two of of my oldest friends each gave money which was pretty nice.  Jason, a friend who I haven't seen in years, also gave money
  • College friends: A great guy who certainly isn't rolling in it, gave me cash-ola.  Along with the best baker psychologist in the world.
  • Theater friends: An old friend who I studied theater with 18 years ago, and we've remained close ever since
  • Vassar Grad: I met this woman when doing an admissions fair and was reminded of how awesome Vassar was and is, as she represents all that's awesome about people.  Cait is running for charity in the Boston Marathon, which makes her a true athlete.  Give her money too!
  • Old work colleagues: My friend Mary from Public Health gave a large sum, which means I owe her a beer.  And my everlasting thanks. 
  • 2 people from a website for frequent fliers that I'm on gave me money.  Which is totally unexpected, but we did spend time together at the Kiva Do in San Francisco and bonded there.  
  • Firefighter buddies: My friend Eric, who I worked as a firefighter with in college gave me money.  He and his wife, Kelly, and his freakishly tall son are good people.  
  • An anonymous donor who is an awesome person and will be there in spirit as I drink the first cold one after my feat of useless bravery.
All told it amounts to an incredible collection of people from many different circles. I'm incredibly lucky to have lived a life that brought me into contact with all of these people.  I think sometimes if I could go back and do things differently, I might, but then I think about all of these people I would never have met.  So overall, this life, with plenty of bumps in the road, is the only road I want to be on.  

1 comment:

karen said...

Apart from the appropriate fishing tackles, a fisherman needs a good and sturdy boat. A boat allows him to reach those locations where he cannot wade through.boats