Monday, July 09, 2007

July 4th: Barbeques and Birthrights

So this past weekend, headed up to the Adirondacks with my friends Clevon and Darleen* to my Mom's place. The town is really small, but right near it sits the Ausable Club, a bastion of WASP outdoorsman power. You could throw a rock and hit either a blond headed 5-year old named Tyler or about 75 Volvo wagons. It's so elitest, the website doesn't even tell you about the place at all, unless you want to work there. Needless to say, it's not really my scene. But went hiking and got some golf in and I almost finished this great book. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. I highly recommend it.

I also returned to the most awesome bar on the planet. It's called Old Main 2o, or at least I think it is. And it's located in the hamlet of Ausable Forks, NY. The Coors Light is $1. And they have shuffleboard where you can play USA vs. USSR. This seems appropriate given the location of Lake Placid, so close by. They also have Sopranos: The Pinball Game which throws out the F-bomb randomly as you play, which is pretty cool.

So that was my July 4th. Happy Birthday America. As with all of my birthday wishes, this is belated. My bad. I didn't even send a card.

* I have changed the names of these friends to protect their future political aspirations and private-sector hopes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you for being sensitive to our political aspirations.

are you a member of our club?